[Lxc-users] LXC Statistics Collection

Francois-Xavier Bourlet francois-xavier.bourlet at dotcloud.com
Tue Mar 15 19:29:19 UTC 2011

Hi,

In fact I am writing a lib to abstract the collections statistics
about LXC containers that live on the host, outside containers. I
already have a plugin for collectd using this lib. An alpha version
will be released soon, just need to fix some details about
architectures and licenses.

Thanks for your advice, the first version will walk directly in
/var/lib/lxc and use the abstract socket open by LXC to check if a
containers is running. I actually have the cpu and memory accounting
and planing to add the networking part soon.

I will keep you tuned when I have public repositories.

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 3:44 AM, Trent W. Buck <twb at cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> Francois-Xavier Bourlet
> <francois-xavier.bourlet at dotcloud.com>
> writes:
>
>> I am trying to collects statistics from LXC container externally. By
>> externally, I mean without executing anything inside the container,
>> but just grabbing all the informations from the outside.
>
> I can't help with your problem, but I am interested in reviewing your
> code once you get it working.  Deep in my TODO list is to write a
> similar module for collectd, so that I can graph e.g. container memory
> usage.  You can't just run collectd inside the container because (as at
> 2.6.32) the containers "see" the whole RAM but just can't use all of it.
>
> As to paths, I suggest you just make the path to the containers and the
> cgroup mountpoint run-time options, with either hard-coded or auto-
> detection as the default behaviour.  You may want to look at how
> lxc-ls(1) does it.

François-Xavier Bourlet