[Lxc-users] Host resource visibility inside container; network interfaces inside containers

Jan-Aage Frydenbø-Bruvoll jan at architechs.eu
Mon Jun 27 16:20:35 UTC 2011

Dear List,

I am in the middle of looks to be a very successful migration from a
Xen based platform to LXC. I am still getting used to the LXC
approach, though, and I was wondering if anybody could help me with
two questions that have cropped up:
 - I don't quite seem to understand how cgroup would actually work in
practice. Primarily, is it to be expected that the container sees all
memory and CPU cores of the host, and is it possible to avoid this in
any way, i.e. allocate 4 cores to a container and that is what you
also see through top, /proc/cpuinfo et al?
 - Is it possible to use other network interfaces, in particular dummy
and ipip inside a container? The closest I have got to a solution is
allocating one 'phys' dummy interface per container, but that quickly
gets clumsy. I also haven't figured out a way to use IP encapsulation
inside the container - is that possible?

Thanks in advance for your kind assistance.

Best regards
Jan