[Lxc-users] can't remove cgroup

Brian K. White brian at aljex.com
Fri Jun 17 16:57:23 UTC 2011

On 6/17/2011 12:06 PM, Serge Hallyn wrote:
> Quoting Brian K. White (brian at aljex.com):
>> On 6/16/2011 3:26 PM, Serge Hallyn wrote:
>>> Quoting Brian K. White (brian at aljex.com):
>>>
>>> rmdir
>>>

>> Did that too. no joy.
>>
>> In fact I did both the main directory and several runs of find|xargs to
>> delete files and directories using rm -f , rm -rf and rmdir.
>> I'll have to wait for it to happen again to diagnose what the problem
>> was. I had to reboot the host because I needed that vm back up.
>>
>> I'm guessing the developer was doing something I didn't expect within
>> the vm, besides the use of the reboot command, to tie up the context
>> group even after all processes went away.
>
> Or maybe, if you don't have a release agent set, he just ran something
> like vsftpd which created new cgroups by cloning?
>
> -serge

I do have a release agent, and I usually have the required vsftpd config
options to disable namespace usage as part of my recipe for setting up
all systems, but I did not do most of the setup of these particular
vm's, I'm trying to get one of my people up to speed so they can do it
so I intentionally stayed away.

It's entirely possible the special vsftpd config either didn't get done,
or got lost in a full distribution version in-place upgrade that was
done from within the vm.

... aha, just checked. An old version of my template vsftpd config was
used which did not yet have the namespace options.

I will add them and test! (as well as update the source of the template
config obviously)

Thank you even if this doesn't turn out to be the culprit of this
incident, it's still a hole I missed.

--
bkw