[Lxc-users] LXC vs ESX

Gordon Henderson gordon at drogon.net
Sat Jun 4 13:39:00 UTC 2011

On Sat, 4 Jun 2011, Ulli Horlacher wrote:

> On Sat 2011-06-04 (11:38), Gordon Henderson wrote:
>
>> However I guess it's just for university types - those with the benefits
>> of Gb upload speeds... The poor people without that benefit - and the
>> majority will have sub 1Mb/sec upload speeds
>
> Many home users in Germany have upload speeds at 20 Mb/s. As far as I
> know standard connection for South Korea home users is 100 Mb/s.

*sigh* Not in the UK. Standard DSL upload speed for the majority is
448Kb/sec - 830Kb/sec on a business line, or up to 1.2Mb/sec on ADSL2+.
The lucky ones on FTTC get 2Mb/sec, or up to 10Mb/sec if they pay silly
amounts more. (I have one FTTC customer - they get 30Mb/sec in and
9.5Mb/sec out - they're 2 weeks into their first months usage and have
already consumed nearly half their 90GB allowance )-:

So there's still a lot of value in using USB data keys/CD/DVD to transport
large quantities of data!

However, personally I'd much rather have higher data caps and lower
contention and more stabiltiy than high speed any day of the week. And
it's all very well having 100Mb/sec but if there's nothing to use it with,
or your international links are so congested it's not worthwhile, then ...

> Besides this all German universities and most big companies have 1 Gb/s
> and above (eg my university has 40 Gb/s).

That's true for the UK Universities too (although 10 and 100Mb/sec is more
common for medium sized companies - and even then it's not cheap - I have
one customer on a 10Mb leased line - 1:1 contention from their premises to
the edge of the ISPs network, no data cap and it's £500 a month. (They
used to post DVDs to their hosting company to upload very high resolution
photos to their website)

The sad truth is that people here aren't willing to pay the real price -
so the huge ISPs dominate - under cut everyone else, offer high speeds
(relatively speaking), but then have oversubscribed networks and lowish
data caps )-:

> So, it is good to know to have software which supports such fast links.

Indeed...

So one day ...

And now back to LXC :)

Cheers,