[Lxc-users] Containers in NFS, or ...

Gordon Henderson gordon at drogon.net
Thu Jul 21 17:02:09 UTC 2011

A few months ago there were some posts about running containers in a
diskless host - just looking for some more info about this in my ponderous
ponderings!

I'm not after having a diskless host (although it's an option), but to
have a host NFS mount a filesystem of a container, then start it....

ie. big NFS servery type thing. Many front-end hosts with lots of RAM, but
minimal disks. Container image NFS (or ?) mounted off server. Lets assume
2 LAN interfaces on the fronting server - a private one to the filestore
and a public one to the rest of the world... (although that's not critical
for what I'm thinking of)

That would then make management of the images utterly trivial and give the
ability to migrate them from one physical host to another with nothing
more than a shutdown/de-config on one host, and a config/startup on a new
host...

However, assuming LXC is happy with it, there's the issue of running
services on an NFS server - but that's really not something for here - I'm
just interested in the scenario of server + multiple hosts... mounting
images via NFS. I can't think why it might not work... Obviously there
might be performance issues, but lets assume the environment is mostly
read access of a typical LAMP type server (with the M part on another
separate server using standard MySQL network access to it, rather than
local access to the (NFS) disk)

This is basically a managemnt type issue more than anything else - the
ability to migrate containers to faster/less loaded hosts, or failled
hosts and so on. (Lets assume the file and sql servers are adequately
backed up by other means)

Anyone see any issues? Would anyone do it differently?

Cheers,

Gordon