[Lxc-users] LXC and Tun/Tap ?

Gordon Henderson gordon at drogon.net
Thu Jul 21 10:58:23 UTC 2011

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011, Daniel Lezcano wrote:

> On 07/13/2011 06:40 PM, Gordon Henderson wrote:
>> ISTR that about a year ago tun/tap use inside an LXC container wasn't
>> possible... Just wondering if things have changed?
>
> No nothing was done around that.
>
> As the thread is old, can you recall what you want to achieve with tun/tap ?

Hi,

Sorry - I tried to setup some tests myself, but got distracted with "real"
work in the past week or so...

> If you can describe with some details what you want with tun/tap, that
> would be great. I am familiar with tun/tap coding, so I can implement it
> if I can refer to your description.

I currently host (amongst many) a server which is a VPN endpoint for a
project I'm working on - we're using OpenVPN and vTUN - both which use the
tun/tap interfaces. As part of my overall managent strategy for all my
hosted servers, I'm moving as many of them them as possible to containers
- so was thinking of "containerising" this particular server inside a
newer host server.

(The move isn't so much to optimise server resources but for management
and I'm finding containers to be excellent for this as I can move a whole
"server" from one hardware platform to another with relative ease!)

What I'll probably do is move the VPN endpoints to the hosting server and
run the rest of the applications inside a container on the same physical
host.

Cheers,

Gordon