[Lxc-users] Is lxc-start threadsave?

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Tue Jul 5 14:37:57 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-07-05 at 15:34 +0200, Jäkel, Guido wrote:
> Hi all,

> is lxc-start threadsave, i.e. may a start up different containers in
> parallel? Have I to apply a individual value for 'lxc.rootfs.mount',
> e.g. by use of the process id or 'mktemp'. Or something else, more?

Ah, you're mixing apples and oranges here.  Starting up two containers
in parallel means you are running lxc-start twice and that's two full
heavy-weight processes, no threads required and nothing to do with
requiring threat-safe.

That being said, yes you can do it but you may want to think carefully
before getting too far out of hand.  I often find myself in the exact
opposite situation where starting too many containers all at once
results in my load average exploding through the roof and slowing
everything down.  You run lxc-start and it's going to run in the
foreground just long enough to get itself started and then go daemon
into the background to start up the container itself and manage it.  You
can easily get 30 or more full VM containers starting up and pounding
the bejesus out of your host for long minutes while walking through
their rc startups.

As for lxc.rootfs.mount, yes you can use the same value.  I use that and
bind mounts for my root file systems with the real file systems for each
individual VM are in a "private" area.  Works like a charm.

> thanks

> Guido

Regards,
Mike