[Lxc-users] An application container for apache?

Patrick Westphal patrick.westphal at inqbus.de
Wed Jan 26 13:31:46 UTC 2011

Hi Sergio,

> you can use the root mount point ("/") or create your own
> root-mount-point, I prefered to use my own mount point called
> "/container/" .

So do I. :)

> Within  container's direrctory i copied all the necessary dirs and
> files (/usr/, /etc/ , /bin ....).
> Remember to change config file to change rootfs mount point.

OK. But 'shared' in this case means 'shared once' not 'shared forever',
doesn't it? I mean if you just copy the corresponding directories, you
will have to do e.g. security updates once for every container.
I just set up the (/usr-, /bin-, /sbin-, ...) bind-mounts (read only) to
(hopefully) keep the system maintainable for a larger number of
containers. So I could install additional software once for all of them.
Let's see if that works. ;)

> Those dirs and files will be shared  but some programs need to run
> with their own (no shared) directories.
> In this point you can mount (bind mode) them , for example i use to do
> it creating a folder called "/webvirtualX", within it i've created
> no-shared dirs such as apache logs, fcgid sockets, and so on .

So do I, too. (Except that I do not bind-mount them but give them a
dedicated directory tree.)

Thanks and best regards

Patrick