[Lxc-users] LXC on RHEL/CenOS 5.5 Host?

Cal Webster cwebster at ec.rr.com
Fri Jan 14 16:59:25 UTC 2011

[Platform]

Hardware:

Dell PowerEdge T300
-------------------
CPU: Core Duo 1.86 GHz w/ 1066 FSB, 2M cache
Memory: 4G DIMM RAM 667MHz
Storage: 1 TB RAID 5
-------------------

Software:

OS: CentOS 5.5
kernel-2.6.18-194.26.1.el5
gcc-4.1.2-48.el5
glibc-2.5-49.el5_5.7

[Background]

I've got a "svelt" CentOS 5 development server (outlined above) where as
many as five developers need to periodically run instances of a
real-time application, possibly as many as 3 or 4 simultaneously. Each
instance expects to be the only one running on the machine. Multiple
instances will collide.

I've looked at OpenVZ but it apparently cannot coexist with SELinux,
which is a deal-breaker for us. Our security policy requires an active,
targeted and customized SELinux policy. I have been unable to get any
OpenVZ users or developers to explain the nature of the SELinux
compatibility issues, however. Instead they suggested I look at LXC.

LXC appears to have everything we need, including isolation of resources
and processes as well as SELinux protection. After looking over the LXC
project it appears that it is available only to kernels starting with
2.6.29. CentOS 5.5 is currently running 2.6.18-194.26.1.el5.

[Questions]

First, can anyone tell me if it's possible to install and use Linux
Containers on a RHEL/CentOS 5 host?

Next, are there RPMs, SRPMs, or even kernel patches and tar-ball sources
available to accomplish this?

Finally, if it is not possible (or reasonably feasable) to host LXC on
CentOS 5, can someone tell me whether it might be possible to develop a
functional SELinux policy within which OpenVZ could operate? If not, why
not?

Otherwise, I'll probably have to settle for KVM virtual machines and
just try to minimize their resource footprint.

Thanks in advance for any information, suggestions, useful links, etc.

Cal Webster