[Lxc-users] ubuntu / lucid container not starting / mountall not sending events

Serge E. Hallyn serge.hallyn at canonical.com
Wed Jan 12 14:49:03 UTC 2011

Quoting Arie Skliarouk (skliarie at gmail.com):
> I have the same problem as the original poster. A lucid container boots and
> ssh is started, but nothing else:
>
> *root at master2:~# ps awx
>   PID TTY      STAT   TIME COMMAND
>     1 ?        Ss     0:00 /sbin/init
>    34 ?        S      0:00 upstart-udev-bridge --daemon
>    50 ?        S<s    0:00 udevd --daemon
>    94 ?        Ss     0:00 /usr/sbin/sshd
>   111 ?        Ss     0:00 sshd: root at pts/134
>   125 pts/134  Ss     0:00 -bash
>   137 pts/134  R+     0:00 ps awx*
>
> How can I make upstart to start other services, especially the
> /etc/init/rc.conf one?

If you look at the /usr/lib/lxc/templates/lxc-ubuntu that ships
with lxc, it installs a /etc/init/lxc.conf which kicks the boot
along.  It sends two upstart events, but in some testing last
night my boot continued fine without those - what was absolutely
essential was the

        rm -rf /var/run/*.pid
        rm -rf /var/run/network/*

Without those, my boot hung.

So you should be able to create any /etc/init/kickme.conf, just
make sure it has:

description "kick upstart"
start on startup
script