[Lxc-users] Forwarding packets from host to container

Nirmal Guhan vavatutu at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 01:25:58 UTC 2011

Hi,

How do I forward packets (ethernet frames included) from host to
container. I plan to run a packet capture program (tcpdump for
instance) within container that will capture the packets coming to
host eth1 interface. I tried both using bridge and iptables but they
do not seem to help.

iptables -A FORWARD -i eth1 -o br1 -j ACCEPT  and/or
iptables -A FORWARD -i eth1 -o vethZtPPol -j ACCEPT

Instead of the above, I also tried adding host eth1 to br1 but still
tcpdump from container cannot see the packets sent to eth1 from
external world.

I use fedora 12 for both host and container.

xc.network.type = veth
lxc.network.link = br1
lxc.network.name = eth1
lxc.network.flags = up