[Lxc-users] Permission denied on lxc-console login

Milan Zamazal pdm at zamazal.org
Mon Feb 28 16:10:28 UTC 2011

When I try to log into some containers using lxc-console, it says
"Permission denied" after entering the username and the password (if
set), i.e. I can't log in.

It happens only to some containers.  For each of the running containers,
login either always works (until I restart the container) or never
works.  If it doesn't work, restarting the container doesn't help.  When
I rebooted the host, the problem disappeared and I could log into all
running containers.  But later I started another container and the
problem has occurred again to the newly started container.

I can't find any error message explaining the cause of the problem.  I
guess containers started sooner are fine, while containers started later
are not.  The system is standard Debian GNU/Linux 6.0 with only 15
containers defined.

Any idea what might be wrong or how to find out more about the problem?