[Lxc-users] Cron running as a non-root user

Andre Nathan andre at digirati.com.br
Thu Feb 17 15:40:58 UTC 2011

Hello

In order to minimize security risks, I'm running my ubuntu containers
with a patched version of cron that allows it to run as an unprivileged
user. This, of course, only works if all the jobs are run by the same
user, but since my containers are single-user only it's no issue.

Incidentally, the Debian bug tracker has a 13 year-old (!) feature
request including a patch that adds this behavior as a command line
option. Since this can be really useful for people using LXC, I'm
sending this message mostly as a heads-up, and maybe if enough people
get show their support for the patch, it can make it into the official
Debian package.

Best regards
Andre