[Lxc-users] LXC and OVF

Trent W. Buck twb at cybersource.com.au
Wed Feb 9 00:35:37 UTC 2011

Walter Stanish
<walter.stanish at saffrondigital.com>
writes:

> IMHO guest generation (lxc-* scripts) is a mess and
> could benefit from adopting a standard that allows for the
> specification of options such as guest network connectivity
> in a non distribution-specific way.  OVF could be one
> mechanism to achieve this.

FWIW, I *like* that lxc doesn't force its own idea of how to do
e.g. network configuration down my throat (cf. libvirt, vmware-server).
i.e. LXC sits on top of my distro, rather than my distro having to
accomodate LXC's way of doing things.

>  - Externalises and thus duplicates some of the virtual-system's
> configuration information that may or may not exist, and may or may
> not be in sync with what's actually inside the virtual machine (eg:
> hostname, IP, subnet, gateway, dns servers, etc.)

Ditto.

>     - Specifically, [XML] will likely make parsing configuration with
> the present bash-format lxc-* scripts an annoyance

xmlstarlet.

> (Perhaps a specific, guest-readable, host-writable file made available
> to the container could be used to provide this configuration to the
> guest at boot time?  Via /proc?)

I believe this works (Debian/Ubuntu flavoured):

    lxc.mount.entry = /etc/lxc/foo.interfaces /srv/lxc/foo/etc/network/interfaces bind,ro

The RH equivalent would be file(s) within /etc/sysconfig.