[Lxc-users] Root-less containers?

Gary Ballantyne gary.ballantyne at haulashore.com
Sun Feb 6 05:23:41 UTC 2011

On 2/6/2011 3:56 PM, John Drescher wrote:
>> Is this important if, say, a malicious user has access to a container?
>> Or, can a container be configured such that they could do little harm?
>
> You can easily make a container have its own filesystem and no access
> to the host's filesystem or devices. Is that what you are getting at?

Say we have a process P, which accepts an input file from the user.
Further, suppose that P allows access to the command line -- and so a
user can potentially execute any command in the container.

To prevent malicious use, one option is to parse the input -- but
running P in a container with minimal resources seems a much better option.

I am trying to put a proof-of-concept together, and the root vs. normal
user issue seemed relevant. Perhaps a better question would have been,
what is the practical difference between the container running as a root
user and a normal user?