[Lxc-users] Container size minialisation

Derek Simkowiak derek at simkowiak.net
Sat Dec 17 22:27:44 UTC 2011

     I have had good luck with ext4 on multi-terabyte systems the last 3
years or so.  These systems run regular rsync (using rsnapshot) with no
filesystem problems.  I also have a ~30 TB system with xfs, no
problems.  (I switched to ext4 when I read benchmarks showing that it
was on par with xfs for performance.)  I haven't tried btrfs yet.

     Getting back on topic... instead of using filesystem tools for file
deduplication and cache optimization, what about the approach of
building tiny Linux containers similar to embedded systems?  Has anyone
tried building small, single-user containers running Busybox and AppWeb
(the tiny embedded web server with PHP and CGI support) instead of a
full-blown, multi-user Ubuntu install running Bash and Apache?

     I've run the DD-WRT i386 disk image under KVM on a server, and it
only takes a few megs of RAM.  It seems like a similar approach could be
used for containers.  (DD-WRT is a firewall Linux distro for embedded
systems.  It has a nice web interface.)

--Derek