[Lxc-users] blkio.weight doesn't work

Zhu Yanhai zhu.yanhai at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 08:32:55 UTC 2011

在 2011年12月14日 下午4:12,陈竞 <cj.magina at gmail.com> 写道:
> Hi, i'm using lxc in my project, i want to control disk io speed, so i use
> blkio.weight. I test it, but the result is confusing.
> I create two container A and B:
> A: blkio.weight = 100            B : blkio.weight=1000
>
> the running process in A and B are the same, which is bash script :
> dd if=/tmp/xxx of=/dev/null
> the size of xxx is 400Mb
>
> I suppose that A would be slower than B, since its weight is small, while
> the test turns out that B run as fast as A, they are in same speed.
> Can any help me figure it out ?
> PS: my kernel is 2.6.32, and lxc is 0.7.5
> --
> 陈竞,中科院计算技术研究所,高性能计算机中心
> Jing Chen HPCC.ICT.AC China

Hi,
Since your kernel is 2.6.32, are you using RHEL6 or cent6? The IO
bandwith isolation based on CFQ of some old kernel works not very well
with heavy seeky workload. But anyway it should work in your case as
it's really simple. Are you sure you are using CFQ? Check your current
IO scheduler, maybe it's not CFQ at all.

--
Thanks,
Zhu Yanhai