[Lxc-users] seeing a network pause when starting and stopping LXCs - how do I stop this?

Derek Simkowiak derek at simkowiak.net
Thu Dec 8 01:39:45 UTC 2011

 > /I've been seeing a pause in the whole networking stack/...

     It's because you use bridged networking.  A Linux host bridge will
sometimes inherit a new MAC address, causing a ~4 second network
blackout while ARP tables refresh.  This is inconvenient for
server-based virtualization platforms, which create and destroy new
bridges frequently.  Libvirt has implemented a workaround for this
problem, and a patch for LXC has been submitted but is not yet published
(outside the development list).

     See the proposed patch issue summary (and links to further details) at:

*http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.containers.lxc.devel/1184/match=*

     In particular, there's a possible workaround described here (by
manually setting the mac address), in the SourceForge bug report:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=3411497&group_id=163076&atid=826303

     The last post about this on the dev list was yesterday; Serge asked
for a bugfix to the patch before commiting it.  I assume the patch
author (Christian S.) will make the requested bugfix and commit it,
hopefully for the next release of the LXC tools.

     For now, I think your best option is to use the workaround linked
above, or else to manually apply the patch and compile it yourself.

Cheers,
Derek Simkowiak
http://derek.simkowiak.net