[Lxc-users] Downgrade disk IO PRIORITY automatically

Arie Skliarouk skliarie at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 12:18:44 UTC 2011

Hi,

I understand that this is not the quite appropriate mailing list to ask the
question, but the question is related to the LXC tech we use on the server,
so here it goes:

Most of the time the LXC containers on our servers work properly, but
occasionally someone, somewhere starts an IO heavy operation that kills
performance for everybody. For some time I tried to ask people nicely to
use "ionice -c 3" or run the task offhours but this is not enough. The
problem happens quite often for people to complain, but not (IMHO) to
warrant purchasing of new hardware.

I envision that an ideal solution would be some daemon that would monitor
disk IO activity and automatically reduce (or raise, depending how you view
it) ionice priority of the process or the container. The daemon would
restore the IO niceness after some good behavior period.

Is there any solution along the lines?

--
Arie