[Lxc-users] Many containers and too many open files

Jäkel, Guido G.Jaekel at dnb.de
Tue Aug 16 06:47:24 UTC 2011

Dear Daniel,

What about to add little hints to such error messages; something like

	"Too many open files - failed to inotify_init. You may have to increase the value of  fs.inotify.max_user_instances"

And maybe this possible traps should be pointed out in the man page.

Another trap is a deficit of entropy, which may result into slow startup or freeze of containers (precise it's applications, e.g. the probably ever-present sshd)

	watch -n 1 cat /proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail

To my experience on a typical server running a bunch of ssl-enabled daemons this happens quite often; I use  rngd  to avoid this.

Guido