[Lxc-users] lxc-setuid - does setuid for scripts work?

Jasim A Basheer jasim.ab at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 15:31:03 UTC 2011

Hello,

I needed a way to get lxc-create and lxc-execute to run as root when
invoked through a process with normal privileges. Found that the
lxc-setuid utility exists which assigns the uid bit to all the lxc
scripts.

But this does not work for me since Linux distros doesn't respect the
setuid bit for scripts.
(https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/9920,
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/364/allow-setuid-on-shell-scripts)

1. I think I'm missing something here, but since setuid for shell
scripts are insecure and not supported, is there a reason why the
lxc-setuid script exist at all ?

2. Apart from writing a C front-end with setuid set, is there a way to
get the lxc scripts to run from a process owned by a normal user?

Thanks.