[Lxc-users] Fwd: Container inside an ESX VM

Mauras Olivier oliver.mauras at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 16:03:17 UTC 2011

On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 12:40 PM, Mauras Olivier <oliver.mauras at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Geordy,
>
> Thanks for your reply. The first one is actually already set here. I asked
> ESX folks to create me my own vswitch with promisc mode enabled.
> I saw the second one coming, but didn't think that could make something...
> There's also a setting like "mac.verify" that can be set to false directly
> from the .vmx file to allow you to use another MAC than 00:50:56:xxxxxx for
> your VM.
> I'll try to force a high MAC in the 00:50:56 subset for my containers and
> see what happens.
>

> I'll let you know,
>
> Olivier
>

> On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 9:12 AM, Geordy Korte <gkorte at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 8:39 AM, Geordy Korte <gkorte at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Thought about it some more and i think it might be an advanced esx
>>> feature that restricts this. Basically a couple of adv features block
>>> spoofing and mac changes on a vhost. I will try to find the specific command
>>> you need to run on an esx host tomorrow, or maybee someone can google it. I
>>> am 100% sure that it's not a bug in either esx or lxc and no modifications
>>> are needed on the lxc side.
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> Sorry for the delay, kids birthday and my new job has not left me with
>> much time. Anyways I did some digging and founds some stuff that might help.
>>
>> The first one is in the properties of the vswitch that is interconnecting
>> the lxc host to the network. Edit the properties and in the Security Tab
>> make sure that promiscus mode, Mac changes and forged macs are set to
>> accept. Basically the vswitch will allow all mac's coming from the lxc and
>> not block them.
>>
>> The second tip is more of a maybee...  ESX 3.x basically would allow to
>> you to change the mac of the Vhost to whatever you wanted. In ESX 4.0 Vmware
>> rewrote the code and would allow you to specify a mac only if it was in the
>> vmware OUI range. To make sure that ESX does not cut the communication try
>> to set the macs of you LXC containers to: 00:50:56:XX:YY:ZZ
>>
>> I hope this helps a little.  Give it a shot and let me know how it works
>> out.
>>
>> Geordy

Hello,

Good news here!! Forcing container MAC to 00:50:56:xx:xx:xx make it work
flawlessly! Two containers running at the same time without the need to
restart network nor Kernel Panic. So far so good!!
Problem solved for me, will be able to deploy some more containers now.

Thanks for your help.

Olivier