[Lxc-users] Fwd: Container inside an ESX VM

Geordy Korte gkorte at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 07:12:51 UTC 2011

On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 8:39 AM, Geordy Korte <gkorte at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thought about it some more and i think it might be an advanced esx feature
> that restricts this. Basically a couple of adv features block spoofing and
> mac changes on a vhost. I will try to find the specific command you need to
> run on an esx host tomorrow, or maybee someone can google it. I am 100% sure
> that it's not a bug in either esx or lxc and no modifications are needed on
> the lxc side.

Hi,

Sorry for the delay, kids birthday and my new job has not left me with much
time. Anyways I did some digging and founds some stuff that might help.

The first one is in the properties of the vswitch that is interconnecting
the lxc host to the network. Edit the properties and in the Security Tab
make sure that promiscus mode, Mac changes and forged macs are set to
accept. Basically the vswitch will allow all mac's coming from the lxc and
not block them.

The second tip is more of a maybee...  ESX 3.x basically would allow to you
to change the mac of the Vhost to whatever you wanted. In ESX 4.0 Vmware
rewrote the code and would allow you to specify a mac only if it was in the
vmware OUI range. To make sure that ESX does not cut the communication try
to set the macs of you LXC containers to: 00:50:56:XX:YY:ZZ

I hope this helps a little.  Give it a shot and let me know how it works
out.

Geordy