[Lxc-users] lxc-start "eats" eth1

Ulli Horlacher framstag at rus.uni-stuttgart.de
Tue Apr 12 11:36:31 UTC 2011

On Tue 2011-04-12 (09:19), Ulli Horlacher wrote:
> I use lxc with physical eth1.
> I can start the container, connect to it, etc. Everything looks ok. But
> when I stop the container and try to restart it, eth1 is no more availble.
> Looks lxc "eats" this interface. How can I free it (without rebooting the
> host (zoo))?

Addon:

This was with kernel 2.6.35-25-virtual

With kernel 2.6.32-30-server I even cannot start the container:

root at zoo:~# lxc-start -f /lxc/ubuntu.cfg -n ubuntu
lxc-start: failed to move 'eth1' to the container
lxc-start: failed to create the configured network
lxc-start: failed to spawn '/sbin/init'

though eth1 is there:

root at zoo:~# ethtool eth1
Settings for eth1:
        Supported ports: [ TP ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Advertised pause frame use: No
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Link partner advertised link modes:  Not reported
        Link partner advertised pause frame use: No
        Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: No
        Speed: 1000Mb/s
        Duplex: Full
        Port: Twisted Pair
        PHYAD: 0
        Transceiver: internal
        Auto-negotiation: on
        MDI-X: Unknown
        Supports Wake-on: d
        Wake-on: d
        Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
        Link detected: no

--
Ullrich Horlacher              Server- und Arbeitsplatzsysteme
Rechenzentrum                  E-Mail: horlacher at rus.uni-stuttgart.de
Universitaet Stuttgart         Tel:    ++49-711-685-65868
Allmandring 30                 Fax:    ++49-711-682357
70550 Stuttgart (Germany)      WWW:    http://www.rus.uni-stuttgart.de/