[Lxc-users] lxc-clone

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at canonical.com
Tue Apr 5 12:52:41 UTC 2011

Quoting Daniel Lezcano (daniel.lezcano at free.fr):
> I think more configuration tweaking will be needed but this patch
> looks good for me.

I'm hoping to set up a machine on which to play with lxc on btrfs
snapshots sometime this week.  (In the background, starting the
build now).

> >+echo "Tweaking configuration"
> >+cp $lxc_path/$lxc_orig/config $lxc_path/$lxc_new/config
> >+sed -i '/lxc.utsname/d' $lxc_path/$lxc_new/config
> >+echo "lxc.utsname = $hostname">>  $lxc_path/$lxc_new/config
>
> We should not assume lxc.utsname is in the configuration file in
> order to not write a hostname in all the cases.
> The user may want to let the container to setup itself the hostname.

What do you think is the best way to do this?  We could allow the user
to specify a 'firstboot' script, which gets copied into root directory
of the container.   Maybe boot the container when it's done, run
/firstboot.sh, and shut down.  Or just let that happen when the user
first boots.  We could use a /etc/init.d/lxc-firstboot script, but
that will only work if the container's init system actually looks at
sysvinit scripts.  Obviously sysvinit and upstart do, and I must
assume that systemd does.  lxc-init I assume doesn't.

Thanks for looking it over, Daniel.  I'm using this heavily every day,
so am really keen on polishing it :)

-serge