[Lxc-users] native (non-NAT) routing?

Tanhuanpää Antti antti.tanhuanpaa at aalto.fi
Tue Apr 5 12:08:12 UTC 2011

On Mon, 4 Apr 2011, Ulli Horlacher wrote:

> My first Ubuntu 10.04 container is up and running on a Ubuntu 10.04 host,
> but the container can only connect to the host (and vice versa), but not
> to the world outside.
>
> I saw a lot of configurations for NAT, but I want native routing for my
> containers.

I know nothing about Ubuntu, but I got a similar setup working with
bridging. The host's IP is assigned to bridge br0 which has host's physical
network interface eth0 and guest's VETH interface gw1-eth0 as ports:

   host# ip addr show br0
   4: br0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN
       link/ether 00:19:99:5f:f2:87 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
       inet 130.xxx.xxx.xxx/24 brd 130.xxx.xxx.255 scope global br0
          valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

   host# brctl show
   bridge name	bridge id		STP enabled	interfaces
   br0		8000.0019995ff287	no		eth0
   							gw1-eth0

No manual mutilation of routing tables is needed, only IP forwarding
allowed (net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1).

BR,
Antti Tanhuanpää