[Lxc-users] Container Filesystem in a file (loopback mount)

Andy Billington andy at andybillington.com
Thu Sep 30 19:50:18 UTC 2010

On 30/09/2010 20:21, C Anthony Risinger wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 8:05 AM, Gordon Henderson<gordon at drogon.net>  wrote:

>>> Yep, I tried, no problem.
>>>
>> Great.
>>

>>> In a near future, we will be able to specify directly the image in
>>> lxc.rootfs. The code doing that is ready but there are some problems with the
>>> consoles I have to fix before.
>>>
>> Sounds good, thanks!
>>
> in the past i used a btrfs filesystem, and put each system in a
> subvolume; this let me create templates that were instantly cloneable,
> and able to run within seconds.
>
> IIRC, you can't do this right now, but soon you will be able to place
> quotas on the subvolumes.  also, you can snapshot them the make a
> backup instantly.  just a suggestion, it worked extremely well.
>
> C Anthony

I've been experimenting with btrfs and cloning this afternoon; once I'd
got over an unrecoverable btrfs error and loss of all test data, it
worked fairly smoothly. I wasn't using subvolumes or playing with quotas
though, so not sure that helps this discussion :) With a few bits of
easy scripting, creating new systems and starting them up was taking
tens of  seconds; backups quicker - on a desktop PC, with the LXC host
running inside a VMware virtual machine. The experience of losing an
entire filesystem due to a btrfs fault though means I don't think it's a
sensible route to take at this point .......

One thing that worked way better in the past, that I haven't had a
chance to do today, was iSCSI-presented ZFS volumes from a Solaris host;
that worked just fine with quotas and thin provisioning, no problem at
all. Maybe when btrfs is usable it'll be possible to do the same sort of
thing; right now, no way. When iSCSI can be presented directly and
seamlessly from btrfs and when there is documentation, I can probably
persuade the customer to take it as an option. The application I'm
testing is a hybrid; some containers will have real jobs to do, some
will be experimental only - I might try putting the 'real' ones on a
sensible filesystem and the experimentals on btrfs, then trying to make
the case for that if I'm happy. I'll try to apply some quota-ing while
I'm testing that, might be a couple of days though.

Andy