[Lxc-users] failed to create pty #0

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Mon Sep 20 13:03:15 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-09-20 at 05:29 -0400, lxc at jelmail.com wrote:
> Hi Daniel,

> I have tracked down this issue somewhat. It seems to be caused by shutting
> down a container (not by lxc-stop) and is caused by the rc.shutdown script
> present in Arch Linux.

I've seen this problem too even when lxc-stop is used and the container
is a Fedora container (mostly F12's).  If I shut down the container and
stop it with lxc-stop then restart the container, I get that "failed to
create pty #0) when sshing into the container.  I have to restart the
host system once that's happened.

> I don't know what specifically causes the problem because I haven't had
> time to investigate but I do know that it's fixed by removing everything
> from rc.shutdown onwards from the line containing "stat_busy “Saving System
> Clock”" as suggested on lxc.teegra.net (I had done this on a prior
> container but missed this step on a new one which is why the problem only
> started happening recently).

I'm going to have to see if there's something similar in the Fedora
shutdown scripts.

Interesting.  I hadn't tried using "lxc-stop" without shutting down the
contained OS, so I hadn't narrowed it down that far.  Interesting.

> So something in that shutdown file has the capacity to disable the host's
> ability to start further containers and also disable the ability to ssh
> into already running ones (thankfully, lxc-console still worked).

> John

Regards,
Mike