[Lxc-users] Mounting filesystem for container

lxc at jelmail.com lxc at jelmail.com
Mon Sep 20 09:13:21 UTC 2010

> As mentioned Serge, that maybe the cgroup device white list which
> prevent you to do that.
> You can check by temporarly comment out in /var/lib/lxc/mycontainer all
> the lxc.cgroup.devices.... lines and then launch the container again. If
> you are able to mount it, then you should add in the configuration file
> the line:

Well, yes, that fixed it. Thank you.

I had a gap in my knowledge. I assumed incorrectly that the mount was
handled in the Host Environment and that the container would just see the
mounted file system, therefore not needing access to the file systems's
device node.

However, I now see that is not the case - the mount is performed within the
container and is not actually visible in the host environment (actually a
good thing!). This leads me to ask some more questions though...

1) Why not just put the mount inside the container's /etc/fstab ?

2) When do these mounts happen? I have a problem with a daemon not starting
during boot because, I think, the filesystem it needs is not yet there.

sorry, just learning this stuff - very keen to leave OpenVZ behind -:)

John.