[Lxc-users] failed to create pty #0

lxc at jelmail.com lxc at jelmail.com
Wed Sep 15 19:43:55 UTC 2010

>>> What is the distro you are running inside the container ?
>>>
>> Arch 64 host. Arch 64 guest.
>>
>Ok, thanks. It am interested in the distro running inside the container,
>fedora, debian, ubuntu, etc ...

uname -a on the host:

Linux hydrogen 2.6.35-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Aug 27 17:14:28 CEST 2010
x86_64 I
ntel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

uname -a on the container:
Linux helium 2.6.35-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Aug 27 17:14:28 CEST 2010

Both running Arch Linux http://www.archlinux.org

> What is the lxc and kernel version ?

Kernel as shown above is 2.6.35. LXC userland is 0.7.2:
"http://downloads.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/lxc/lxc-0.7.2.tar.gz

>> Hmm, weird. Is there any message in /var/log/messages ?

Nothing interesting in /var/log/messages.log:
http://starfry.pastebin.com/n6pM8S
aq

>> Is it possible to show the content of /proc/mounts ?

[root at hydrogen lxc]# cat /proc/mounts
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0
sys /sys sysfs rw,relatime 0 0
udev /dev devtmpfs
rw,nosuid,relatime,size=10240k,nr_inodes=1537323,mode=755 0 0
/dev/mapper/chips-hydrogen_root_protium / ext3
rw,relatime,errors=continue,barrier=0,data=writeback 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts ro,relatime,mode=600,ptmxmode=000 0 0
shm /dev/shm tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime 0 0
none /cgroup cgroup
rw,relatime,blkio,net_cls,freezer,devices,memory,cpuacct,cpu,ns,cpuset 0 0
/dev/mapper/platters-hydrogen_home /home ext4
rw,relatime,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/mapper/platters-hydrogen_var /var ext4
rw,relatime,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/mapper/platters-prod_var /srv ext4 rw,relatime,barrier=1,data=ordered
0 0
/dev/sda1 /boot ext3 rw,relatime,errors=continue,barrier=0,data=writeback 0
0
/dev/sda1 /boot ext3 rw,relatime,errors=continue,barrier=0,data=writeback 0
0
/dev/sdc2 /tma1 ext3 rw,relatime,errors=continue,barrier=0,data=writeback 0
0

>>> What is the better way to reproduce it ?
>>>
>> Not sure. I had been working on it for several hours creating/destroying
>> containers and starting/stopping them at will without problems. Then
>> suddenly the problem happened. I will do more investigating however.

   On boot, two containers started. I started a third, entered it via ssh
and issue
d "shutdown -h now". Clean shutdown. I then attempted to start it again:

lxc-start -n beryllium
INIT: version 2.86 booting

 > Arch Linux

 > http://www.archlinux.org
 > Copyright 2002-2007 Judd Vinet
 > Copyright 2007-2010 Aaron Griffin
 > Distributed under the GNU General Public License (GPL)

   ------------------------------
:: Configuring System Clock
[DONE]
:: Setting Locale: en_GB.UTF-8
[DONE]
[DONE]
                                                                         [DO
NE]
INIT: Entering runlevel: 3
:: Starting Syslog-NG
[DONE]
:: Starting Network
[DONE]
:: Mounting Network Filesystems
[DONE]
:: Starting Secure Shell Daemon
[DONE]
:: Starting Cron Daemon
[DONE]
Starting VirtualBox kernel module ...done.
INIT: Switching to runlevel: 0
INIT: Sending processes started by init the TERM signal

 > Initiating Shutdown...

:: Stopping Cron Daemon
[DONE]
:: Stopping Secure Shell Daemon
[DONE]
 :: Unmounting Network Filesystems
[DONE]
:: Stopping Network
[DONE]
:: Stopping Syslog-NG
[DONE]
:: Sending SIGTERM To Processes
[DONE]
:: Sending SIGKILL To Processes
[DONE]
:: Saving Random Seed
[DONE]
:: Saving System Clock
[BUSY]
Cannot access the Hardware Clock via any known method.
Use the --debug option to see the details of our search for an access
method.
                                                                         [DO
NE]
:: Deactivating Swap
[DONE]
:: Unmounting Filesystems
[BUSY]
umount: devpts busy - remounted read-only
umount: /: device is busy.
        (In some cases useful info about processes that use
         the device is found by lsof(8) or fuser(1))
                                                                         [DO
NE]
:: Remounting Root Filesystem Read-only
[BUSY]
mount: / is busy
 > POWER OFF
INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel

http://link.mail2web.com/mail2web