[Lxc-users] kramic on maverick

Serge E. Hallyn serge.hallyn at canonical.com
Mon Nov 29 14:10:17 UTC 2010

Quoting Trent W. Buck (twb at cybersource.com.au):
> I encountered, isolated, and worked around this issue.
>
> Symptom: gettys don't start in the container.  runlevel(8) reports
> "unknown" instead of "N 2".
>
> Problem: ifupdown 0.6.8ubuntu29.1 introduces this change:
>
>     ifupdown (0.6.8ubuntu29.1) lucid-proposed; urgency=low
>
>       * debian/ifupdown.network-interface.conf: Bring up lo manually, so
>         that it
>         comes up even if /etc/network/interfaces is broken (LP: #512253).
>       * debian/ifupdown.upstart.if-up: Don't emit a duplicate net-device-up
>         event for lo here, as network-interface.conf will have taken care of
>         it.
>
> For some reason, upstart DOES NOT generate the event, so when this

Purely guessing, but I assume that normally the kernel creates that
uevent when lo gets set up?  But with the container, lo is created
(and uevent sent) before the container's upstart is running?

It's important to know where the event is supposed to come from,
because we're hoping to have the same set of upstart scripts work
both in a container and on a native host.  So we'll want to find
a general solution to this - even if it has to be some lxc.conf
which only runs if it is in a container, and fakes certain events
it knows won't otherwise happen.