[Lxc-users] 0.7.2 - 0.7.3 changes

Brian K. White brian at aljex.com
Tue Nov 9 20:33:14 UTC 2010

My containers all work in lxc 0.6.5 and 0.7.2, (with different init
script for 0.7.2 since it no longer needs an external watchdog to
monitor containers task lists and run level)

But, starting with a working 0.7.2 setup, and upping to the current git
snapshot just after 0.7.3 with no other changes, my containers start up
and run, but don't work due to mystery problems with /proc and ttys, or
maybe all mount points in the fstab below. Networking doesn't work and
various programs fail, but I can log in at the console screen session.
It's a production machine and I couldn't leave it broken long enough to
get more details.

Here is a sample container setup thats currently working fine on 0.7.2

nj9:~ # cat /etc/lxc/vps001/config
lxc.utsname = nj10-010
lxc.network.type = veth
lxc.network.flags = up
lxc.network.link = br0
lxc.network.hwaddr = 02:00:47:bb:ce:56
lxc.network.ipv4 = 71.187.206.86/24
lxc.network.name = eth0
lxc.mount = /etc/lxc/vps001/fstab
lxc.rootfs = /srv/lxc/vps001

nj9:~ # cat /etc/lxc/vps001/fstab
none /srv/lxc/vps001/dev/pts devpts defaults 0 0
none /srv/lxc/vps001/proc    proc   defaults 0 0
none /srv/lxc/vps001/sys     sysfs  defaults 0 0
none /srv/lxc/vps001/dev/shm tmpfs  defaults 0 0

nj9:~ # cat /srv/lxc/vps001/etc/fstab
none /srv/lxc/vps001/dev/pts devpts defaults 0 0
none /srv/lxc/vps001/proc    proc   defaults 0 0
none /srv/lxc/vps001/sys     sysfs  defaults 0 0
none /srv/lxc/vps001/dev/shm tmpfs  defaults 0 0

under /srv/lxc/vps001 is a full system where these mount points exist
and are empty when the container is not running.

The start script runs
screen -dmS vps001 lxc-start -f /etc/lxc/vps001/config -n vps001
to start the container.

I don't know where to stop in relaying every possible affecting
variable, like the contents of the containers /dev, the configuration of
the containers various init scripts (udev is disabled for one thing) etc.

What do I need to change or look out for going from 0.7.2 to 0.7.3 given
the above config?

--
bkw