[Lxc-users] can't restart container without rebooting entire host, because can't delete cgroups files, tasks is 0

Brian K. White brian at aljex.com
Fri Nov 5 17:14:26 UTC 2010

I have lxc 0.7.2 on openSUSE 11.2, which is kernel 2.6.31

I get this all the time on my other boxes which up to now have been lxc
0.6.5 on the same kernel, but I've lived with it by just trying to never
reboot containers, and only using containers for services that can stand
to be rebooted so that I can actually reboot the host and thus all
containers if I have to.

Now I have a few containers on another box with lxc 0.7.2 and the user
of one of the containers tried to reboot his vps and it can't restart
because there are cgroups files that can't be deleted. tasks file is
empty in that cgroups directory,
nj9:~ # cat /cgroup/nj10-014/tasks |od
0000000
nj9:~ #
but there are several pid subdirectories with files in each. They can't
be deleted.
lxc-ps -elf shows no processes in that container.

lxc-ls shows no containers at all, although definitely one other
container is running and working and has processes in lxc-ps.

And I can't really reboot the host this time without telling a lot of
paying customers to get out and stop working for a while.

I could probably get this container back up temporarily by just renaming
it so it doesn't collide with the stale cgroups files, but the question
is, I thought this was fixed? was it a kernel bug and I need a newer
kernel to clear this up ?

--
bkw