[Lxc-users] Proposal for an FHS-compliant default guest filesystem location

Serge E. Hallyn serge.hallyn at canonical.com
Tue Nov 2 13:45:44 UTC 2010

Quoting Walter Stanish (walter.stanish at saffrondigital.com):
> > > Therefore I humbly propose:
> > >  - the establishment of /var/lib/lxc as the default top-level
> > > directory for guest filesystems
> > AFAICS we are still using /var/cache/lxc right now.
>
> Hrrm interesting, I haven't seen that come through on my
> distribution's packages (gentoo).
> Quick survey - what paths are other distributions encouraging their
> users to put guest root filesystems in?
>
> > Which I like better than /var/lib/lxc.  If it has 'lib' in the pathname, it should have libraries!
>
> I'm not certain about that:  /var/lib/mysql has been the default for
> MySQL databases, forever.

That sound you hear is the gnashing of my teeth :)

> The FHS v2.3 (p33) states that /var/lib is for "variable state information" and

I'll just respond with one link:

http://www.pma.caltech.edu/Publications/alice.in.unix.land.html

rather than get into a discussion about standards.  I'm not maintainer
of LXC, so I'll leave it to Daniel and the Debian package maintainer to
worry about those.  Phew  :)

[ Seriously - sounds like you're right. ]

thanks,
-serge