[Lxc-users] Proposal for an FHS-compliant default guest filesystem location

Serge E. Hallyn serge.hallyn at canonical.com
Mon Nov 1 13:40:20 UTC 2010

Quoting Walter Stanish (walter.stanish at saffrondigital.com):
> http://lxc.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=lxc/lxc;a=commitdiff_plain;h=c01d62f21b21ba6c2b8b78ab3c2b37cc8f8fd265

This commit only moves the location of the 'templates', which are
just scripts that install a guest fs.  It doesn't/shouldn't move
the location of the actual guest fs's.

> Therefore I humbly propose:
>  - the establishment of /var/lib/lxc as the default top-level
> directory for guest filesystems

AFAICS we are still using /var/cache/lxc right now.  Which I like
better than /var/lib/lxc.  If it has 'lib' in the pathname, it should
have libraries!

>   (eg: /var/lib/lxc/<guestname>)
>  - all use of /etc/lxc/<guestname>/rootfs should be considered deprecated

I don't see that being used on my system, or in the git commit
you cited.

-serge