[Lxc-users] help with root mount parameters

Brian K. White brian at aljex.com
Wed May 26 18:10:39 UTC 2010

On 5/26/2010 4:54 AM, Ralf Schmitt wrote:
> Daniel Lezcano<dlezcano at fr.ibm.com>  writes:
>

>> This is internal stuff of lxc. Before this commit, several temporary
>> directories were created and never destroyed, polluting '/tmp'.
>>
>> In order to do pivot_root, we have to mount --bind the rootfs somewhere.
>> This 'somewhere' was a temporary directory and now it is
>> "/usr/lib64/lxc" by default (choosen at configure time), or optionally
>> configurable with lxc.rootfs.mount.
>>
> /var/run/lxc looks like a much better choice to me.

As has been discussed pretty thoroughly already, this is not variable
data but a completely fixed, static bit of package-specific support
infrastructure. It's just like a package specific library or other
component file whose name never changes and which that single file
services all running instances concurrently.
The "library or other support file" just happens to be an empty
directory in this case.
As such, something/lib/<package>/something is really the most correct
place. Just pretend you can't hear the word "temporary" in the
description of it's purpose.

Maybe the install target that creates this directory could also place a
small text file in the directory explaining the directories purpose?
"This directory must exist, even though no contents are ever placed
here. see http:.... for details"
That shouldn't affect it's use as a mount point and helps the system to
self-document.

--
bkw