[Lxc-users] help with root mount parameters

atp Andrew.Phillips at lmax.com
Wed May 26 09:07:20 UTC 2010

Thanks to both for the replies.

This now makes sense. I've specified the rootfs.mount in the container
config, and it gets past there and boots ok.

Just in case anyone else cares, a very handy debug log can be had by
using this command.

lxc-start --logpriority=TRACE -o /tmp/trace.log --name my_container

It was not clear from the man page that to get the higher levels of
verbosity (DEBUG|TRACE) you need to specify an output file, rather
than just stderr.

The autoconf maze has me befuddled as well. I tried briefly to see where
VERSION and PACKAGE_VERSION were defined but to no avail.

In answer to Daniels question;

islab01 is an FC12 machine, running 2.6.34 (for the macvlan stuff)

[root at islab01 lxc]# grep /usr/lib64/lxc *
[root at islab01 lxc]# head config.log
This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.

It was created by lxc configure 0.6.5, which was
generated by GNU Autoconf 2.63.  Invocation command line was

  $ ./configure

## --------- ##
## Platform. ##
[root at islab01 lxc]# grep /usr/lib64/lxc *
[root at islab01 lxc]# grep LXCROOTFS *
config.log:LXCROOTFSMOUNT='/usr/local/lib/lxc'
config.log:#define LXCROOTFSMOUNT "/usr/local/lib/lxc"
config.status:S["LXCROOTFSMOUNT"]="/usr/local/lib/lxc"
config.status:D["LXCROOTFSMOUNT"]=" \"/usr/local/lib/lxc\""
configure:LXCROOTFSMOUNT
configure:    EXP_VAR=LXCROOTFSMOUNT
configure:    LXCROOTFSMOUNT="$full_var"
configure:#define LXCROOTFSMOUNT "$LXCROOTFSMOUNT"
configure.ac:AS_AC_EXPAND(LXCROOTFSMOUNT, "${with_rootfs_path}")
configure.ac:AH_TEMPLATE([LXCROOTFSMOUNT], [lxc default rootfs mount
point])
configure.ac:AC_DEFINE_UNQUOTED(LXCROOTFSMOUNT, "$LXCROOTFSMOUNT")
Makefile:LXCROOTFSMOUNT = /usr/local/lib/lxc
Makefile.in:LXCROOTFSMOUNT = @LXCROOTFSMOUNT@

[root at islab01 lxc]# ls -l /usr/local/lib/lxc /usr/lib64/lxc
ls: cannot access /usr/local/lib/lxc: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access /usr/lib64/lxc: No such file or directory

from the trace.log
      lxc-start 1274794074.668 WARN     lxc_conf - failed to mount
'/dev/pts/2'->'./rootfs.test/dev/tty2'
      lxc-start 1274794074.668 WARN     lxc_conf - failed to mount
'/dev/pts/3'->'./rootfs.test/dev/tty3'
      lxc-start 1274794074.668 WARN     lxc_conf - failed to mount
'/dev/pts/4'->'./rootfs.test/dev/tty4'
      lxc-start 1274794074.668 INFO     lxc_conf - 4 tty(s) has been
setup
      lxc-start 1274794074.668 ERROR    lxc_conf - No such file or
directory - failed to access to '/usr/lib64/lxc', check it is present
      lxc-start 1274794074.668 ERROR    lxc_conf - failed to set rootfs
for 'test'
      lxc-start 1274794074.668 ERROR    lxc_start - failed to setup the
container

So something is going awry, but I'm really puzzled as to how having read
the setup_rootfs section. Its probably not worth chasing down at the
moment.

Andy

Andrew Phillips
Head of Systems

www.lmax.com

Office: +44 203 1922509
Mobile: +44 (0)7595 242 900

LMAX | Level 2, Yellow Building | 1 Nicholas Road | London | W11 4AN

The information in this e-mail and any attachment is confidential and is intended only for the named recipient(s). The e-mail may not be disclosed or used by any person other than the addressee, nor may it be copied in any way. If you are not a named recipient please notify the sender immediately and delete any copies of this message. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden. Any view or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.