[Lxc-users] Best way to move a container

Gordon Henderson gordon at drogon.net
Sat May 8 08:16:25 UTC 2010

On Fri, 7 May 2010, Brian K. White wrote:

>> (I think using blowfish makes it a bit quicker - it's a lighter weight
>> encryption and needs less CPU - personally, I'd rather use rsh on a
>> private LAN, but that's a debate for elsewhere ;-)
>>

> Why even use rsh? I just use rsync itself, no ssh or rsh. It's great.

Hm. you've got me thinking now...

>From what I know, rsync uses ssh by default. This was changed from rsh
some years back. You can force rsh with the -e or --rsh parameters - but
that means setting up rsh. So if you just use rsync, then it will be using
ssh already.

However, there is a mode whereby the remote site can run an rsync daemon,
but even then I think it still needs some sort of transport module - ie
ssh, but I've just glossed over the man page without really taking much
in. I know what works for me ;-)

tar piped into ssh (or rsh!) is even faster - I sometimes use that for the
first initial copy. Actually, I have a copy of a 100GB container to do
this weekend between 2 hosts on 100Mb networking. I'll run some tests :)

Gordon