[Lxc-users] Slow response times (at least, from the LAN) to LXC containers

Brian K. White brian at aljex.com
Mon Mar 15 17:05:18 UTC 2010

Michael Trausch wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 6:02 PM, Daniel Lezcano <daniel.lezcano at free.fr> wrote:
>> Michael B. Trausch wrote:
>>> Incorrect; I will try to explain again, I was very likely not clear
>>> before.
>>>
>>> The device is a combination cable modem and switch provided by the ISP.
>>>  The input to the device is a coax wire, and then it has four gigabit
>>> Ethernet ports that are bridged together.  I have the IP network
>>> 173.15.213.184/29 from my ISP, and the device takes from that address space
>>> a single address for itself, 173.15.213.190, which is the address that it
>>> uses to NAT any traffic from the LAN that uses it for a gateway on the LAN's
>>> private network address space.
>>>
>>> This means that there are two address spaces that are valid on my network;
>>> I can use either the IP addresses in the range of
>>> 173.15.213.185--173.15.213.189 or I can use 172.16.0.0/24.  The device is on
>>> the network with two IP addresses, 173.15.213.190 (which is reachable from
>>> the public Internet, and is the gateway for the systems on my LAN that are
>>> using addresses in the 173.15.213.184/29 subnet) and 172.16.0.1 (which is
>>> the default gateway for all of the systems that have IP addresses in the
>>> 172.16.0.0/24 subnet).
>> Oh, very interesting I didn't know an ISP can provide such box. That means
>> you can have one of your host directly available on internet without
>> routing, right ?
>
> I can have up to 5, as I have the entire IP address range from
> 173.15.213.185 to 173.15.213.189 inclusive.
>
>>> In short, the device itself has two IP addresses on a single bridge
>>> interface and how it handles the packets depends on the IP of the internal
>>> machine trying to use it as a gateway.  It is also a black box insofar as I
>>> can interact with it; I do not control its software nor am I able to make
>>> any configuration changes to its IP stack other than things like port
>>> forwarding and the like (I do not even have the ability to do protocol
>>> forwarding via the NAT, which is why I have a Linux box running in a
>>> container that does my IPv6 routing, and if I had to do any complex things
>>> with NAT and protocol forwarding, I would need to suck up a second global
>>> IPv4 address and NAT through it instead, probably on a second IPv4 RFC1918
>>> subnet).

>>> NAT routing is handled by the router at 172.16.0.1/24, which also has the
>>> IP address 173.15.213.190 on the 173.15.213.184/29 subnet.

>>> This is correct.

>>> When I ping any of the 173.15.213.184/29 IP addresses from any host on my
>>> network that has a 172.16.0.0/24 IP address, I receive an ICMP redirect from
>>> 172.16.0.1, when the containers are running inside of LXC.  That would be
>>> the issue as simply as I can state it.
>> Ok, I think I understand now the topology of your network.
>>
>> IMO, the following is happening:
>>
>> * 'fennel' pings  172.15.213.185, but this IP address does not belong to its
> [...]

I have 2 cable accounts at my office just like you describe,
5 static ips provided by a cable company supplied router with a built-in
4 port switch. But I can't exactly replicate your setup because:

1) The router and cable modem are seperate boxes. The router part is a
cisco 800 series router with one wan nic and one lan nic and 4 bridged
lan ports. This means my hardware can't be the same as yours because you
described a single box with integrated cable modem. So, being not
identical, my hardware may not behave exactly as yours does and it may
not be an LXC problem, merely a problem LXC tickles.

2) More relevant, those cisco's aren't doing any nat for me. I treat the
lan ports on those routers as part of the internet and are only
connected to nics with public ip's in the particular range of each
particular router. No connections to nics or switches that connect to
any other nics having any ips outside that range.

I have a few lxc boxes set up here, and one of them is on one of these
cable lines. But both the lxc host and the containers within it all have
public ip's from the same 5-address pool of usable addresses for that
router. The host and the containers do also have private lan ip's, but
they bare all on a seperate nic on the host, and that nic connects to a
seperate switch, which, even thought that nat traffic does happen to
ultimately go back out via one of the public ip's on that same cable
line, it does so via a seperate physical network and nat router, which
happens to be another a linux box with 2 nics, one stricty private one
public directly connected to one of the lan ports on the cisco.

Perhaps lxc does mis a beat somewhere with that network, or perhaps it's
the router, but I think this kind of mystery problem is exactly why I
"just don't do that". I know it's technically "legal" and I'd do it if I
had a reason to some time, but where possible I don't mix ip ranges on a
physical network or within a vlan at least. Especially I avoid potential
routing ambiguity such as having lan and wan traffic on the same
physical net where both would end up routing, for different reasons, to
the same gateway device or nic. Thats just begging for problems.

--
bkw