[Lxc-users] User space driver

Nirmal Guhan vavatutu at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 00:38:42 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 4:18 PM, Serge E. Hallyn
<serge.hallyn at canonical.com> wrote:
> Quoting Nirmal Guhan (vavatutu at gmail.com):
>> I need to add user space device driver from a container and the driver
>> is specific to the container (host won't see it). Is it possible to do
>> so? I hope so but wanted to confirm before I start (and any other
>> things I should keep in mind).
>>
>> Please let me know.
>>
>> --Nirmal
>
> Forgive my ignorance.
>
> Can you point me to an example of how you insert such a driver, and
> how it interacts with the kernel?
>
> I would assume it talks iocts over some device file...  In any case
> it's certainly doable, but likely not with any pretense of protecting
> the other containers or the host from that driver.
>
> -serge

I stand corrected. I just want to create my driver the usual way (in
kernel space) but want to differentiate between the host and container
accesses. Host accesses to /dev/mydevice may have higher privileges
than container accesses. Is there a way to differentiate between the
requestors (host vs container) ?

--Nirmal