[Lxc-users] Reboot from container

Brian K. White brian at aljex.com
Mon Jun 21 13:45:48 UTC 2010

On 6/18/2010 6:39 PM, John Drescher wrote:
>> I gave a "reboot" command (accidently) from container. Although it did
>> not reboot the system, it made it less functional. All the vtys were
>> closed and could not open any new terminal. Had to reboot the system
>> to make it functional again.
>>
>> Have any one seen such behavior ? This is with 2.6.32 kernel.
>>

> I believe that was fixed with the latest lxc-0.7.0 release.
>
> John

Well, "fixed" is not fair as it implies anything was ever broken.

LXC never claimed to provide a virtual reboot function in the first place.
LXC is in many ways like chroot. And just like chroot, it's a low level
tool that you build fancier things on top of. It runs processes in a
namespace. It is not a full virtual hardware system like vmware. You
build the fancier higher level stuff on top of that yourself, such as
modifying the container init scripts fairly heavily to remove or modify
the stuff that does not work or makes no sense in the context of a
container. There is no boot loader or kernel or kernel modules for
instance, so any init scripts that deal with those need to be removed or
short circuited. And it's not lxc's job to do that, you have to.
Arranging for the host system to stop & restart a container when the
container requested a reboot was like that.

Now LXC ships with a reboot service which is a great convenience and
improvement, but it's not fair to to LXC to call this a fix.

--
bkw