[Lxc-users] Copy-on-write hard-link / hashify feature

C Anthony Risinger anthony at extof.me
Thu Jun 10 21:00:38 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 3:54 PM, Gordon Henderson <gordon at drogon.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jun 2010, John Drescher wrote:
>
>> BTW, a second option is lessfs.
>>
>> http://www.lessfs.com/wordpress/?page_id=50
>
> What about the KSM kernel option? It's aimed at KVM I think and in the
> kernel from 2.6.32.

i'm not really familiar with KSM, but it believe it is intended to be
a generic solution for problems like this.

however, i think it requires prodding from userspace applications to
trigger scans for identical pages; it does not IIRC do any automatic
scanning and merging... applications/modules must explicitly
request/trigger merges.