[Lxc-users] Set default GW

Bodhi Zazen bodhi.zazen at montanalinux.org
Wed Jun 9 21:27:43 UTC 2010

I agree, the variability and flexibility of LXC is high.

I would imagine many uses involve networking (I would guess most people are most interested in isolating network aware applications) , so a simple config option

lxc.network.ipv4.gw 192.168.1.1

to set the default gw for the container or application. Sure you could add ipv6 too, but my guess is that ipv6 is not as popular as ipv4).

or similar would be of some use to most people. Such an option would not preclude your use, simple leave that line off and continue to use your init scripts.

Although I am new to LXC, I find it is easier to manage as much as possible in lxc.config files and a little as possible in the init scripts or containers.

For example,

lxc.network.ipv4 = 192.168.0.100/24

is, IMO, much easier then tracking down the network config files and setting a static ip within the container. Not a big deal mind you, but easier to review / edit a single config file.

I guess add this to the "wish list" (setting a default gw in the config file)

lxc.network.route

to set a route would be even better =)