[Lxc-users] IPC between containers

Brian K. White brian at aljex.com
Tue Jun 8 00:21:23 UTC 2010

On 6/7/2010 7:51 PM, Nirmal Guhan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to use shared memory between the containers? Any other
> better/faster IPC mechanisms? I don't want to use sockets.
>
> Please let me know.

Fifos on shared filesystem on the host?
Multiply hardlinked files on the host which appear in the same place in
each container?

Except I don't know how you could safely allow more than one client
mount the fs except read-only, other than by means which are ultimately
sockets just with fs overhead on top of that. (various network and
distributed filesystems, and distributed ipc, distributed locking
systems, all are network based)

Or if the multiple-hardlink idea doesn't actually work, I guess you
could put an incron job on the host which has access to all the
container's fs's and can watch a special directory in the same place in
all containers fs's and whenever a file is modified in one container,
incrond on the host notices and replicates it in all other containers.

None of this sounds as good as ordinary socket communications, which is
my point.

The whole point of a container is to ensure that exactly that (IPC)
can't happen so I am tempted to say if you don't want something which
contains, then don't use containers.

--
bkw