[Lxc-users] Question regarding LXC

Bodhi Zazen bodhi.zazen at montanalinux.org
Tue Jun 1 23:13:40 UTC 2010

I would echo what has been mentioned already.

With a 32 bit host, you can not run 64 bit containers.

With a 64 bit host, you can run 32 or 64 bit containers.

You may run any version of any distro you wish in the container, so long as you understand how to configure the init scripts.

If you excuse the reference, I have updated my blog posts on how I run Ubuntu 10.04 and Fedora on my blog. Not sure how up to date the Debian blog is.

http://blog.bodhizazen.net/linux/lxc-configure-ubuntu-lucid-containers/
http://blog.bodhizazen.net/linux/lxc-configure-fedora-containers/
http://blog.bodhizazen.net/linux/lxc-configure-debian-lenny-containers/

The only thing I would add, everyone has slightly different uses for this technology. As an "end user" most of the problems I have had with LXC come from one of two sources:

1. Not fully understanding how to use the config files. Many tutorials on LXC seem to configure things in the containers when the should use the config files. For example, use of dhcp or setting a static IP using the container /etc/network script (config files vary with distro).

IMO, it is much easier to set a static IP from the config file (same "one liner" with all distros).

Similar comments to properly configuring the mounts (fstab). The lxc config files will mount things, no need to run the init scripts.

I suggest you do as much as possible in the config files and as little as possible within the containers.

2. The various init scripts. You are not really booting a container, all you need is to start your service(s). Use a minimal init script and remove as many init scripts as possible.

Along those lines, write a simple shutdown script. This will vary by distro and can be a simple as using service foo stop or /etc/init.d/service stop for each service.

IMO, it does not make a lot of sense to "reboot" containers, you simply wish to start and stop services and, again, IMO, until init scripts take virtualization technology into account you do not need them.

IMO, keep it simple.

I have just looked at the Ubuntu lxc script and will take it for a spin (see the ubuntu-lxc discussion).