[Lxc-users] Running Fedora12 container on Ubuntu

Nikola Simidzievski nikola.simidzievski at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 11:58:26 UTC 2010

Hi,
I am trying to get Fedora 12 container on Ubuntu 10.4, but I have several
problems. I installed new  rootfs using febootstrap , and configured it, and
created new fstab (guided form
http://blog.bodhizazen.net/linux/lxc-configure-fedora-containers ) :
none /lxc/rootfs.fedora/dev/pts devpts defaults 0 0
none /lxc/rootfs.fedora/proc proc defaults 0 0
none /lxc/rootfs.fedora/sys sysfs defaults 0 0
#none /lxc/rootfs.fedora/var/lock tmpfs defaults 0 0
#none /lxc/rootfs.fedora/var/run tmpfs defaults 0 0
/etc/resolv.conf /lxc/rootfs.fedora/etc/resolv.conf none bind 0 0
My lxc conf. file look like this :
lxc.utsname = fedora
lxc.tty = 4
lxc.network.type = veth
lxc.network.flags = up
lxc.network.link = br-node0
lxc.network.name = eth0
lxc.network.mtu = 1500
lxc.network.ipv4 = 10.0.0.1/24
lxc.rootfs = /lxc/rootfs.fedora
lxc.mount = /lxc/fstab.fedora
lxc.cgroup.devices.deny = a
# /dev/null and zero
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c 1:3 rwm
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c 1:5 rwm
# consoles
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c 5:1 rwm
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c 5:0 rwm
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c 4:0 rwm
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c 4:1 rwm
# /dev/{,u}random
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c 1:9 rwm
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c 1:8 rwm
# /dev/pts/* - pts namespaces are "coming soon"
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c 136:* rwm
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c 5:2 rwm
# rtc
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c 254:0 rwm
When I start the machine with this setup I get this error:
lxc-start: Device or resource busy – failed to mount ‘none’ on
‘/lxc/rootfs.fedora/dev/pts’
lxc-start: failed to setup the mounts for ‘fedora′
lxc-start: failed to setup the container
So I remove the lxc.mount part from the conf. file and it starts normally
but a get  error when I make ssh connection (PTY allocation request failed
on channel 0) so I assume that has something to do with wrong mount on
/dev/pts. I tried to mount it manually via chroot but then the booting slows
down and services like mysqld and httpd can't be started. So any suggestions
how to solve this?

Thank you very much in advance,
Nikola