[Lxc-users] Gathering information about containers - from inside and from outside

Clemens Perz cperz at gmx.net
Sun Jul 18 14:36:09 UTC 2010

On 07/18/2010 02:39 PM, Daniel Lezcano wrote:
> On 07/18/2010 11:48 AM, Clemens Perz wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> So doing a while on /var/lib/lxc as a starting point, run lxc-info on
>> each, find out which one is running, examine its cgroup and so on.
>
> You should look for the abstract socket "@/var/lib/lxc/<name>/command"
> too. This socket exists when the container is running. The container can
> run without a previous creation, hence you won't find it in
> /var/lib/lxc. These containers are called "volatile containers".

Cool, found them in /proc/net/unix, thats good. Is there a way to read
this path - /var/lib/lxc - from somewhere? Just thinking if some distro
might want to change it at compiletime and then the script sucks :)

>> I have three macvlan containers running, but funny enough lsmod shows
>> that the macvlan module is not used.
>
> Do you mean the refcount is 0 ? or the module is not visible ?

Sorry, yes, the refcount stays 0. I was looking for host-side
information about the container and its network interfaces too. Maybe
this is a way to make things more visible in case you need to track
problems. And of course give me a chance to understand it :D

BTW, giving the option lxc.network.ipv4 in the config, does that do
anything inside the container? Can it be propagated? Or can I just omit
it, when I use the containers dist tools to setup the interface?

Cheers,
Clemens