[Lxc-users] Preventing premature bash exit

Whit Blauvelt whit at transpect.com
Mon Jul 12 16:07:20 UTC 2010

Hi,

Is this a simple problem, or does it indicate I'm so far from configuring
this right that I should move on to other means for a time and let the
containers project mature to where the paths have become better trod?

It seems I've almost got the container started:

  # lxc-start -n centos5 /bin/bash
  [root at centos /]#

But as soon as I type anything at that prompt:

  [1]+  Stopped                 lxc-start -n centos5 /bin/bash

And the process is still running. Various bad states of the system follow
from that. In one an "exit" is entered at the host prompt, not by me, which
gets a "There are stopped jobs" message - the lxc-start of course. In
another hitting return repeatedly can produce this pattern:

  root at black:~# [root at centos /]#
  root at black:~# [root at centos /]#
  root at black:~# [root at centos /]#

each line being two returns, and anything else typed after [root at centos /]#
logging my out of my ssh session into the host. In another variant the
terminal on the host stops doing returns - runs the lines on.

There's nothing useful in the logs of the host or guest (and I've tried it
with the guest's logging both on and off).

On the one hand, I realize the lxc project is low profile because it's still
in such an early state. On the other, containers would be perfect for the
internal, non-production testing systems we need here just now, and for
production uses once it gets to 1.0 and is better proven. But I don't know
whether I'm 30 minutes away from having containers work well enough to get
on with using them, or if it would take another week of muddling. Not that I
don't enjoy sharpening my sometimes-rusty skills; just that my employer
might question my productivity round about next week....

Anyway the goal is an Ubuntu 10.04 host, with latest stable kernel.org
kernel and latest lxc and iproute, to run Centos5 containers.

All advice welcome.

Whit