[Lxc-users] How to make a container init DIE after finishing runlevel 0

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Tue Jan 26 01:50:48 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-01-26 at 00:42 +0100, Daniel Lezcano wrote:
> I trick I just found:
>
>  while $(true); do
>     inotifywait /var/lib/lxc/debian/rootfs/var/run/utmp;
>     if [ "$(wc -l /cgroup/debian/tasks | awk '{ print $1 }')" = "1" ]; then
>         lxc-stop -n debian
>     fi;
> done

> This command can stay always there and it will trigger a lxc-stop when
> the container remains with 1 process.
> No polling and immediate :)
> At the first glance, it seems to work well, but of course not compatible
> with upstart.

Oh BABY!  I like.  I like mucho!

I've just cobbled together an "lcx-waiton-init" script that incorporates
that.  After starting a container, running that script will monitor the
container and, if it reboots it, restart the container and continue
monitoring it, with a new log file (my peculiarity).  If it halts, it
shuts the container down and terminates.  It adds a double quiet option
and a timeout option to the inotifywait just in case.  I'm going to
integrate that into my own startup wrapper scripts so it runs
automatically when a container is started.

Mui Bien!  Gracias!

Attached.

Mike