[Lxc-users] Can not start containers using latest tools from the git

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 05:29:26 UTC 2010

>>  I had that problem a week or so ago and
>> reported it on lxc-devel.  Just yesterday, they checked in some stuff
>> that should fix it but I haven't had a chance to retest.  Do a "git
>> pull" to update and check to see if the latest patches fix that.
>>
>> Just for something really REALLY off the wall, try unmounting /dev/shm
>> and then retry the start.  If it starts, that's exactly my problem that
>> I have not been able to reproduce.  I'm hoping the developers are now on
>> this list as well.
>>

> I will try to test this tonight if I get a chance. I just closed the
> vm I was testing that in..

I did not have /dev/shm mounted in the first place. I tried mounting,
unmounting and in all cases same result:
localhost ~ # mount /dev/shm
localhost ~ # rm /lxc/guest_1/lxc-oldrootfs* -rf
localhost ~ # lxc-start -n guest_1
lxc-start: Device or resource busy - could not unmount old rootfs
lxc-start: failed to pivot_root to '/lxc/guest_1'
lxc-start: failed to set rootfs for 'guest_1'
lxc-start: failed to setup the container
localhost ~ # umount /dev/shm
localhost ~ # lxc-start -n guest_1
lxc-start: Invalid argument - failed to umount '/lxc-oldrootfs-DUZVTO/dev/shm'
lxc-start: failed to pivot_root to '/lxc/guest_1'
lxc-start: failed to set rootfs for 'guest_1'
lxc-start: failed to setup the container
localhost ~ # rm /lxc/guest_1/lxc-oldrootfs* -rf
localhost ~ # lxc-start -n guest_1
lxc-start: Invalid argument - failed to umount '/lxc-oldrootfs-adU2gT/dev/shm'
lxc-start: failed to pivot_root to '/lxc/guest_1'
lxc-start: failed to set rootfs for 'guest_1'
lxc-start: failed to setup the container

John